Thursday, January 22, 2009

Resolution to Recycle

I have always recycled my aluminum cans, I drink so much diet coke that it adds up fast! Yes, that is my weakness, anyone who knows me well enough knows. But if that is my biggest vice, I think I'm doing alright. After I cash in all of my aluminum, which is usually about every 3-4 months, I have saved enough money to buy either lunch or a small ice cream cone. It just depends on the price of aluminum at the time.

Our county has finally introduced a recycling program to our community. I was elated to see this, I hate to feel like I am wasting when I could be recycling. I got started immediately. I now recycle not only aluminum but also plastic, cardboard, newspapers (did this already too), metal, and glass.


The first step was getting used to cleaning all the garbage! My kids looked at me funny when I would wash the garbage and set it on the counter. I would let the collection dry and then take it to the bin in the evening. I immediately realized that if you do not rinse out the milk jugs, they will emit a nasty odor in no time. I did not like that smell in my garage. Easy fix, wash everything! Do you know how time consuming it is to wash peanut butter out of the jar? Not fun, but I am doing my best to do my part. Of course it would be easier to just throw it away, THINK GREEN!
Next, I needed to organize. I soon saw how quickly this stuff piles up. It was a huge pile of clutter in my garage. The hubby didn't appreciate it, this area is basically his hobby room.
I love to organize anyway, so we'll see how these bins work. It seems to look better. It still takes up space but at least it's easier on the eye! It's also easier when you are dumping it in the recycle binnies. It's already sorted.I stuffed all of it in my car. I let it pile up too long and I am either going to have to dump it on a more regular basis or get a bigger vehicle. That's another story that I'm sure I'll be blogging about soon.
The binnies are just blocks away from our home which makes dumping it so easy. The only complaint I have is that the holes are so small, you can't dump it all in at the same time. You have to basically drop one or two items at a time in.

This county program will use the monies towards our parks and recreation. I am happy to see that our efforts to save the planet will go towards nature and outdoor recreation.

DO YOUR PART!
work hard, play hard, rider harder.

3 comments:

Lori said...

I LOVE to recycle. Our town goes so far as to pick it up for us on garbage day. As long as it is sorted and out on the curb it gets hauled to the recyclers and I don't have to deal with hauling it. Way to save the planet, sistah.

TamTam said...

I have actually been going in with some friends and paying to recycle for over a year, I am glad the city now has the bins around-I'm planning to switch to that plan very soon.
I do wonder about the water we waste in rinsing things like peanut butter...which is worse?
Only you could make recycling look so fascinating!

Chrys said...

Funny you mentioned the water issue, Tami. Guy and I were discussing that as the water was wasting away while I washed out the peanut butter jar. I think wasting the water in the Southwest is worse. That is most precious in this desert!